Monday, May 28, 2012

Sourcing the Straw

Trying to support local businesses our first source of bales did not come through. A little bit of rain and not $$ offered for 300 bales seemed not enough incentive to cut and bale the straw. A couple of months went by during this process Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House is not that committed to hassle and the farmer decided to turn the straw back into the paddock. Early April 2012, Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House responded to an ad in the local paper. 2 trips on a Saturday with Claire (16 year old daughter of Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House) with a tandem trailer and the ute around 80 bales each trip. Claire was the stacker while Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House threw the bales 6 or 7 high. This was a 2 ½ hour round trip.
The following weekend Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House and I went to pick up another load. I threw the bales down off the stack, the helpful man who we purchased the bales from, threw the up the Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House who stacked them. The journey was with the threat of rain and after losing a bale or two and stopping to re-tie twice, we decided that to un load on the highway and repack was too much – how could I throw a bale 6 high no way. Un-hooking the trailer for Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House to take the ute load home and return left me at the side of the road – major highway to push bales off the top of the trailer. Attempting to protect the bales from the rain no easy feat. Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House said that Claire stacked them better than he. Not helpful at that point. Mr I want to build a Straw Bale House returned and ute loaded, trailer hitched again and making a 6 hour round trip. – imagine not happy at this point and we still had to unload and stack them in the house. One more load the following weekend – it had rained all week and the house site was muddy and 220 bales were already in easiest access to the house. The ute got bogged. However it was a only a 2 hour round trip including unloaded. .

No comments:

Post a Comment