Friday, August 13, 2010

Buying the land

It started with a phone call, my partner (Mr, I want to build a straw bale house) rang the real estate and made an offer over the phone. Within 2 minutes the offer was accepted. Mind you I did not find out until, he then made a lesser offer which was accepted. 2 -3 weeks down the track the bank had agreeed we could borrow money to purchase 110 acres, with pen in hand to sign the contract Mr I want to build a straw bale house, asked if the vendors would accept a lessor payment by $5,000. They said yes and we owned 110 acreas 2 kms away from our 20 acrea property. This was 4 years and 10 months ago now and we are finally moving next weekend. Scary!!!!!!

The house is still an idea at this stage. Like grand designs it all starts with a thought.

This blog is hopefully going to cathartic for me for I want to share my lows and lows with readers. It has not all been roses to date however the adventure continues.

We went to some display homes taking our muddy boots off to enter. This was to get some idea for space and layouts. An idea! well all Mr I want to build a staw bale house did was to pick up the nick nacks and see the price tag underneath and cringe. He thought the idea was of these houses seemed very sterile and quite plastic. In his mind  our house had nothing in common. He is right but it was about the space, layouts and ideas that I thought should be absorbed. I did attend a few by myself each time getting the layouts.

I cut out the rooms from the plans to plan our house. Ensuring all the wet areas are on one side and handed them to a drafts person. We had the plan set out.

We have had fun (frustration) with the council and have spent a hell of $$ on permits so far.

Display homes have there place but creating your own space is ideal.

Marg

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Marg. Hang in there Spring is only just around the corner. Michelle

    ReplyDelete