Saturday, August 28, 2010

Living arrangements for the next few months is something to I am going have to endure. Mr I want to build a Straw Bale house, and I bought a 24 foot caravan and a structured annex that had windows and a solid floor. We picked it up in 2 goes and delivered caravan home, so we could work on it and the annex went straight to the property.

Well within days the cows had trampled the new toy in the paddock. Smashing the windows and re-structuring the sides including the roof of the aluminium structure that was packed ready for erection. Well to say that we could not use the annex is an understatement. I think some of the annex bits secured by tyres.

Making the caravan liveable was a huge job. Going to garage sales for bits of paint, a friend gave us litres which was very thick and the dregs from our shed. After we put the draws back together and new knobs on everything after the cupboards were painted, I started on the ceiling and walls. I left the caravan doors open to air while I had lunch. Getting back to it I found 2 cows inside the van. Cows you may say are very inquisitive animals. Lucky they had not damaged anything or poohed inside.

Moving the caravan to the property was another adventure. First of all the tyres were flat, so a trip to the service station to get air in a can. We attempted to pull out the caravan with our 4 wheel drive – It got bogged and could not shift anything. We unhitched the van and believe or not we started digging near the tyres filling them up with crushed rock. With me standing on the at the back of the van lifting the back of the van with a huge post the van slightly moved. Edging closer to the seemly impossible the van moved and we were on our 2 km journey around the corner.

We sort of put the van in position and talked about what we would do when we move over to the caravan, shed and cabin. It only took 2months for I want to build a straw bale house to hook the caravan up to the tractor and put in the position we wanted to. Is was frustrating for me to wait another month or so for the van to be levelled. No it was not Mr I want to build a Straw bale house that put the van in place it was his friend. We were talking to the plumber like for ages meanwhile our friend and his son had secured the van.

We can now get into the caravan for it is ready to fit out. It sits next to the cabin that I bought on ebay which will be used for a lounge and has a shower and toilet. The old annex floor has now being replaced by bricks. – not sure what we are going to with the unsafe slippery floor base. – Any ideas? I told you we used tyres as foundations.

I can wait to move but I can't wait for the house to be built.

No comments:

Post a Comment