Friday, April 1, 2011

House Plans


Mmmmmmmmmm  its all about the plans at the moment. We had quick specific drawings made up a number of years ago. These drawings included the doors I got from my wonderful hairdresser and windows I bought through ebay.  To gain a building permit further detail of the plans was needed. 

About 2 years ago I engaged a friend’s friend who is an architect. Meeting with him over 4 times to ensure the first cut was nearly final.  This was over wine and phone calls to Mr I want to build a Straw Bale house.  We were ready to move soon, ready to build but plans were needed.  After several emails, leaving messages on mobile phone, the first week in January 2011, I finally talked to him. He was on holidays, suggesting to meet up the following week. Well …………………. 6 weeks later we finally made a time. The architect stated he had plans to go and had contacted the structural engineer for the design of the slab. Of course I was excited; turning up to his house only to find a message on my phone that he had to work so postponing our meeting. The next time I did not make it to his house he had given 2 hours grace of cancelling. The next time I spoke to him and suggested he email the plans so when we arranged the 4th meeting I would have feedback. No plans still. Speaking to him a few days later he then sent the plans.

I got home around 10pm and straight on the computer to open the email up to find a completely different design to what was presented and discussed. Mr I want to build a Straw Bale house laughed and thought the design was in a ‘combie’ style. The walls were exposed, no veranda surrounding the house, not facing North to use passive heating, not seemly energy efficient, access to the toilet was through our bedroom or our daughter’s.



If you look hard enough you may find a spare bedroom or is it a space?  What about the simple things like somewhere to put our couch/heater/ TV and the 1st room you see when you walk in is the Laundry.

I was in shock and angry and could not ring him for over a week.  I was calm when I spoke to him stating that it was not what we wanted and he suggested we find someone else.  He sent back the package full of duplication of documents that he kept requesting including 2 copies of the original planning permit documents.   It could be said that he did not look in the package or given he is an architect he has the right to make his stamp on our house. Oh no he doesn’t.

Relieved but still with no plans we have engaged a company of drafts people only about 25kms from where we live. They say the plans will be ready within 2 weeks – Since we are now sooooooooooo behind schedule we are going to spend winter in our temporary accommodation. I think doing time in the coldest area of Victoria could only add character and create more stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment